Metro Connect Details
Metro Connect is an origin-to-destination program that will pick up riders and transport them to a specified location. If you have a particular destination – for example, an errand or appointment- you can schedule a Metro Connect vehicle to pick you up at your home, take you to your destination and back to your home.
Metro Connect is available to anyone in Kalamazoo County and provides transport throughout the Kalamazoo County area. Our ADA-compliant vehicles offer accommodations to riders with specific needs, and we are service animal-friendly (we ask that all service animals be kept under the control of the passenger throughout the trip while boarding and exiting!). Individuals travelling with personal care attendants.
Download the Metro Connect Brochure
“Shared-ride” means that Metro Connect schedules multiple passengers who may ride together in the same vehicle. Similar to car-pooling, we schedule based on the needs of each individual to transport them to their specific destinations as conveniently as possible. This service is subject to the availability and needs of other riders.
As you may expect to share the space with others, we ask that all riders be patient and observe rules of conduct so that everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience!
- Seatbelts must be used in accordance with State of Michigan Law
- No eating or drinking is allowed on the vehicles unless required due to a medical condition
- Smoking is prohibited on all vehicles
- You cannot ride with open containers of alcohol or bring illegal drugs
- You cannot ride while intoxicated
- Proper attire, including shirts and shoes or appropriate foot coverings, is required on the vehicle
- You cannot ride with any open wounds, sores or discharge of bodily fluids that create a biohazard for other passengers and drivers
- You are requested not to wear scented personal care products on the vehicle for passengers with chemical sensitivities
- You must remain seated while the vehicle is in motion
- Ensure that mobility devices are in good working order
- Be courteous to drivers and scheduling staff
- Do not use vulgar, foul, abusive, threatening, or obscene language or actions
- Do not harass other passengers or Metro Connect staff, including racial, sexual, gender or age-related harassment
PLEASE NOTE: Metro Connect service may be suspended due to inappropriate, aggressive, or abusive behavior toward drivers, scheduling staff or other passengers. Metro reserves the right to require that a personal care attendant travel with the passenger as a condition to ride instead of a service suspension due to behavior violations. All suspensions can be appealed in writing to:
Metro Connect Coordinator
530 N. Rose St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
All Kalamazoo County residents can use Metro Connect! We offer discounted fares for individuals who are certified with a disability and folks the ages of 62 years or older.
Individuals with a disability and seniors 62 years of age and older can request a Certification for Reduced Fare application. Proof of condition and/or age can be provided by having a physician or caseworker complete the form and submitting a copy of a driver’s license, birth certificate or other picture ID with rider’s date of birth.
If you require additional assistance or have questions, please call (269) 337-8858! Completed forms and accompanying paperwork can be submitted -in person or by mail- for approval to the Program Coordinator at 530 N. Rose St., Kalamazoo, MI 49007.Your information here.
Fares for Metro Connect vary depending on rider needs and eligibility. We offer reduced fares for senior riders (aged 62+) and individuals with disabilities. If you feel you qualify, please complete a reduced fare application or contact us at (269) 337-8858!
Service – One-way Fare
- Metro Connect Access Fare: The fare paid by an individual certified as ADA eligible within the Metro Connect Access service area. | $3.00
- Reduced Fare Demand/Response Trip: The fare paid by a certified senior or individual with a disability for a demand/response trip Reduced Fare Application | $4.00
- Demand/Response Subscription Trip: The fare paid by an individual for a routine ride for a medical, employment or education trip. Demand/Response Subscription trips must be paid for in advance of the service dates. Fares for Subscription trips are non-refundable when service is cancelled. | $6.00
- Child Fares: The fare paid by a child over 48 inches tall.
Children under 48 inches tall ride for free when accompanied by an adult. | $10.00
- Cash Fare: The fare paid by an individual who is not registered as a senior or a passenger with a disability. | $12.00
- Cash Subscription Fare: The fare paid by an individual who is not registered as a senior or a passenger with a disability for a Subscription. Cash subscription fares must be pre-paid and are non-refundable. | $14.00
- Child subscription trips: The fare paid for a child over 48 inches tall.
Children under 48 inches tall ride for free when accompanied by an adult. | $12.00
Individuals with a disability that prevents them from riding on Metro’s fixed-route bus service some or all of the time can apply for Metro Connect ADA paratransit service.
Access eligible passengers are divided into three groups:
- Level 1: Any individual with a disability who is unable, as the result of a physical or mental impairment (including a vision impairment), to board, ride or disembark from a fixed-route vehicle on the Metro system.
- Level 2: Any individual with a disability who needs the assistance of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device and is able, with such assistance, to board, ride and disembark from an accessible fixed-route vehicle, but one is not available on the route.
- Level 3: Any individual with a disability who has a specific impairment-related condition which prevents the individual from traveling to a boarding location or from a disembarking location served by the fixed-route Metro system.
The application process requires individuals to complete and submit two forms:
Individuals may also request Access ADA Application and Professional Verification Form by:
Calling (269) 337-8222 and speaking with a staff member
Written letter sent to Metro (Attn: Metro Connect Coordinator, 530 N. Rose St., Kalamazoo MI 49007)
Visiting the Metro office in person
Note: All certification applications are available in alternate formats upon request
Eligibility is divided into three groups:
- LEVEL 1: Any individual with a disability who is unable, as the result of a physical or mental impairment (including a vision impairment), to board, ride or disembark from a fixed-route vehicle on the Metro system.
- LEVEL 2: Any individual with a disability who needs the assistance of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance device and is able, with such assistance, to board, ride and disembark from an accessible fixed-route vehicle, but one is not available on the route.
- LEVEL 3: Any individual with a disability who has a specific impairment-related condition which prevents the individual from traveling to a boarding location or from a disembarking location served by the fixed-route Metro system.
Access applicants will be notified of their eligibility determination within 21 days of receipt of their completed application. If a determination is not made within 21 days, presumptive eligibility will be granted, and the applicant can use Metro Connect until a determination is made.
Individuals certified as ADA Access eligible may also ride anywhere in Kalamazoo County outside of the Access service area, 3/4 of a mile beyond the fixed-route service, at the Metro Connect reduced fare.
If you require additional assistance or have questions, please call (269) 337-8222.